Saturday, March 9, 2013

There's two sides to every record!...

Long ago, in the dark ages, the vinyl single was a powerful force in the music industry. The A-side of the single contained the potential hit song. To some people, the other side of the hit record..the B-side..was just filler, throwaway tunes not fit for human consumption or radio airplay....but for others.. (cool people)..the B-side of the record could contain a rare, unreleased gems. Take a chance and flip that single over and you could discover a magical world beyond the mainstream top-40 radio world.

Case in point: The Soul Survivors-" Hey Gyp"

The A-side of the single was "Expressway To Your Heart", a classic slice of garage-rock from 1967. One day I decided to flip the disc and discovered what would become one of my favorite songs, "Hey Gyp". From the opening riff, I was hypnotized by the addictive, hard-driving garage groove...."I'll buy you a Cadillac if you just give me some of your love girl!"....Sounds perfectly reasonable to me..

As the years went on, I was surprised to discover that "Hey Gyp" was originally written by Donovan, another 60's legend. Eric Burdon and the Animals also recorded a rollicking version of this great pop/rock tune.That simple flip of the record delivered some mighty good times in my musical world! Here's a few different versions of "Hey Gyp"









CANDYMAN....Same title..two very different songs..Sammy and Jerry..Both great!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks.! first time ive heard GYP & I LIKE IT!!!!.

    looking back on Sammy Davis and his version, i think he may have missed the true meaning of what the candy man IS ....... All that face time sith Sinatra and Martins rat pack....whitened him up

    that whole domh kinda freaks out....but at least it was a BEACH BOY & SPRINGSTEEN FREE BLOG. THERE IS HOPE FOR YOU YET

    ReplyDelete