After a 3-hour wait in the colder-than normal temperatures, I was almost inside the house of wax! A store employee handed out a 1-page info sheet with updates on the availability of certain sought-after releases and another tidbit that blew my mind!. There was something called a mystery 7-inch single with a plain black sleeve. The featured artists and songs are kept secret until the stores open and the collectors enter the magic kingdom. The tip sheet informs me that the mystery single for 2013 is: The Grateful Dead- IKO IKO. What!!!??
Are you freakin kidding me?!! One of my favorite songs and one of my favorite bands. I figured the mystery tune would be from a hipster/ indie artist that the youngsters dig but no!..This release is just for me!. I feel my blood pressure rising. Oh crap!..maybe they are already gone! Damn those freaks who got in line earlier than me!...Settle down dude!..It is my time to enter. I try to not make a spectacle of myself. Record Store employees can be slightly judgemental and elitist so the last thing I need to do is burst into the store with my tye-dye and screaming, "Where is the Grateful Dead mystery record?!! Where? Damn you!! Where??!!!, you condescending hipster freak!!!! Ahhhrrrrgggg!!!
Everything was cool. The staff was patient and nice and I quickly found the section with 7-inch singles and the mystery single was in the first box! Nice! I picked up 2 other singles (Willie Nelson- Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die on green vinyl!! and Bob Dylan- Wigwam). The only problem I have with RSD is that there is so many awesome collectibles available but they are not cheap. I had to limit myself to 20 bucks or so and move on out of there to let some people into this tiny record box..I mean store..doh!
Before I drive home, I think I will check out this mystery single. Let's open this bad boy up......WTF!! This single is on tye- dye freakin vinyl!! Yessssssssssssss!!!!! Grateful Dead...IKO IKO...tye-dye vinyl!! I could not have dreamed up this scenerio any better if I tried!! What a blast!..good times, indeed!
















Major league score on the Dead 45 , i'm a little jealous, Frame that baby !
ReplyDeleteI was tempted to not open the record..it was shrink-wrapped and had a plain black cover..I would never had known it was tye-dye!
ReplyDelete