Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band
At the conclusion of Springsteen's 2009 tour, he treated fans to a live performance of some of his classic albums. The classic Born to Run album was played in it's entirety at the Charlotte gig. Bruce gave a short introduction speech explaining that BTR was a "do or die" proposition back in 1975. Columbia Records was disappointed in the sales of the first two Springsteen albums and their patience was running thin.
As Bruce played the opening notes of "Thunder Road" , I was overcome with emotion. I immediately flashed back to 1975..... An awful year that would change my life forever. My father passed away suddenly at an early age and our family's heart and soul was destroyed in ways that could never be repaired. So much had changed in the 34 years since I first experienced the Born To Run album but it seemed like I had come full circle. I was still standing and Bruce was still singing his songs to his loyal fans. I will never forget that unexpected rush of sadness mixed with joy. Survival, Rock and Roll, family, nostalgia, painful longing for the past...It all came crashing down in my heart that November evening in 2009. All this for a 20.00 ticket in the cheap seats! : )
It was a great concert and would turn out to be the last time I would see The Big Man wailing on his sax. After Clarence Clemons died in 2011, it felt like the end of the Springsteen era...but...not so fast!..
The man is still at it and shows no sign of closing shop.... Rock and Roll... Survival!


No comments:
Post a Comment