An obscure Christmas song..unless you are from the Philadelphia/New Jersey area and listened to radio station WMMR 93.3 in the early 1980's.
The song was released as a vinyl single only and has become a sought-after rarity for those who are searching for this Christmas tune as a momento of their youthful days listening to Philly rock and roll radio. There is a video of Christmas on the Block with mediocre sound quality out on YouTube. Alan Mann died tragically in 1987 and his Christmas tune seems to still tug at the heartstrings of those who remember the song from the 80's.
Somewhere in my digital travels I secured a MP3 version of Christmas on the Block and I have received requests the last few years to pass along this holiday tune. It all started on a wintry night with forecasts of a blizzard on the horizon and...ahhh no..not really.... actually I stumbled onto the WMMR blog and noticed a few posts inquiring about this elusive song.
It is a nice feeling to share some Christmas magic with fellow music lovers from my old stomping grounds. So..if you want a mp3 of Christmas on the Block, just send me an email and I will gladly hook you up
TRAYNORCOFFEE@AOL.COM

Thank for sharing that background info, Rich! I did not know about his inspiration for the tune and that tidbit makes the song even more touching and classic
ReplyDelete