By the mid-70's, I had discovered life beyond AM radio. There was a brave new world of music to be heard beyond the Top 40. . Deep album cuts on FM radio and the B-sides of vinyl singles introduced me the limitless possibilities out there in the musical landscape. I became a musical explorer, taking chances, opening my mind and discovering sonic gold. If I was intrigued by the artwork on a album cover or simply thought the band had a cool name, I would give it a try.
The Guess Who- The Way They Were was released in 1976 and was a collection of previously unreleased tracks from the band's most successful lineup that delivered a string of hits in the late 60's/early 70's. The tracks on this album contained the last sessions recorded before Randy Bachman left the band to create Bachman-Turner-Overdrive.
I bought the album, I listened to the album. I liked the album..I really liked the album! I listened to the album over and over. Does anybody know about this album? This is great stuff! I needed to share my new-found obsession. My friend, Rick, was already a Guess Who fan so it only seemed natural to let him in on this awesome musical secret. Over the years this album has become our personal cult classic.
Some of the tracks from The Way They Were surfaced as bonus tracks on future remastered CD's of the classic Guess Who albums but I imagine that only hardcore Guess Who fans would remember these lost gems. It is fascinating to think of what might have been if these songs got some airplay back in the day. With better timing, promotion and a little luck, these tunes could be classic Guess Who standards but...it's all a roll of the dice.
It is a very cool adventure to discover a buried musical treasure. There are tons of classic overlooked tunes out there,,,check them out!!

No comments:
Post a Comment