Saturday, May 26, 2012

Although the official start of summer is not until next month, Memorial Day weekend will always be the summertime to me. The neighborhood pools open and school is winding down.  In Charlotte, NC. the Memorial Day weekend delivers Speed Street, the 3-day festival preceding the Coca- Cola 600 Nascar Race. Speed Street delivers food, giveaways and evening concerts. The musical roster usually includes bands that had their heyday in the 80's and/or 90's. In recent years, Joan Jett and Eddie Money performed at Speed Street. The 2012 lineup includes Loverboy and Night Ranger.

I saw Loverboy in 1982 at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia with my friend Steve, who worked with me at Wee Three Records. Along with Loverboy, we endured Huey Lewis and the News, Joan Jett, The Kinks and Foreigner. That concert was 30 years ago..Damn, I am old!...



I think that I might as well go ahead and feature a tune from the quintessential summertime band that knows a thing or two about car songs...


No comments:

Post a Comment