Well, that was quite a rush! Even before the DNC started, things started happening.. I met Jarod from the Subway commercials as well as Bob Weir's sister-in law/Nascar Driver/ environmentalist(Leilani Munter)..took a tour of Convention floor at Time Warner center...watched the construction of the temporary Google center..visited The American Presidential Experience exhibit..saw Mayor Foxx and had my picture taken sitting at replica of oval office desk in a tye-dye..but there was so much more to come ..The Democratic National Convention was arguably the biggest and most significant event to hit the Queen City of Charlotte, NC. Regardless of your politics, you could not help but notice that this was a freakin massive circus!..talk about sensory overload! As an obsessed collector of trinkets, the is the surreal deal (I hate that word, but dammit..it applies this time!)..at one point during the CarolinaFest kickoff event on Labor Day, I was lightheaded and thought I was going to go down!...crowds, heat, buttons..lots of buttons and trinkets..WT* !! Was that a Philly cop?..There was police from all over the country..Dudes from Office of Homeland Security searching the trains before we could get on..what are they looking for..do they know something?? My daughter is working at several of the events for the delegates..She got me an autographed copy of Ed Rendell's book..Thanks, Michelle!..protesters, union guys hugging people (Hug a Thug event to improve the perception of union members)..vendors..lots of freakin vendors.. Jeff Bridges (The Dude) and brother Beau on stage..torrential downpours. We are soaked to the bone and laughing like mental patients..This is good times!..James Taylor sings 4 tunes and then more rain..My wife hugged Ty Pennington earlier in the day..by the way......The Google building was an oasis from the madness on the burning street..come into the magical air-conditioned wonderland and have some iced coffee and sit in our hip semi-circle chairs..help yourself to unlimited colorful buttons and stickers..I love this company and everything they represent! ..I will never even think of using another search engine..... Duke Energy gave away crazy LED nightlights that are activated by darkness.they are indescribably beautiful!
Me and my wife's friend, Mary Kay were searching for t-shirts after scoring miracle tickets to the acceptance speech at Bank of America stadium..it is all too much!..We are in the Convention Center..I did not think we would be allowed in here so easily..Who is that being interviewed?..What?..no freakin way!...a Kennedy!?? Teddy's son, Patrick..I am about 5 feet from a Kennedy...I should not be this close to a Kennedy!..Where is Secret Service? I could literally tackle a Kennedy right now..Of course, I would not hurt him..just some good-natured hijinks..a little headlock and wrestling on the ground like the days of grade school at recess!..Dammit..stop thinking like a freak..you lay a hand on Patrick, you are going down for many years..but I would be remembered as the loveable wackjob who tackled a Kennedy and embarrassed the city of Charlotte..ahh the humanity!..I am outta here..look..more trinkets!!
Wednesday...darkness...devastation..As I was at the dentist getting a crown, my wife sent me a text..Those coveted tickets to see the president speak are worthless!..They are moving the final day's events indoors because of possible rain in forecast for Thursday..WTF!! Is this for real?..Rage..lots of rage..It's a conspiracy!..This has been a ridiculous emotional roller coaster..so what if it rains?..The rain was fun the other day!...I hate everyone..I hate politics..I am not voting!! I should have tackled that idiotic Kennedy moron when I had the chance!!..News Reports..President has arrived in Charlotte (who cares! he better stay away from me right now!) ..There will be a conference call tomorrow for all ticket holders with POTUS..I hate conference calls!..they remind me of work... My daughter's boyfriend, Tim sends me a picture of POTUS arriving in Ballantyne area where he will be staying...minutes away from us..Ok...this is still actually pretty cool..The prez is in my neighborhood...
As my friend Scott said, "Bill Clinton is a rock star"..what a speech!..Can't accuse him of not giving the details!..Charisma much!? Oh yeah!..starting to calm down a little...They are holding viewing parties all over Charlotte area..some uptown..maybe we will go...to be close to the action..My biggest regret from Wednesday..I did not go uptown at all and I later found out...they were giving out collectible trailer hitch covers..over sized rubber Obama-Head!.Yes..you heard me correctly....Why do they have to torture me this way?..Could there be a more awesome and collectible giveaway?..I must now live with that void in my heart...well..maybe not..I found them online..$10 prezhead.com..and my birthday is coming up..I'm just saying..
After choking under pressure and mumbling and stumbling like a tourist on acid...I was having trouble convincing the dude at The Blumenthal Theater to let us in to watch the convention. My wife, Marianne, saved the day and politely convinced the guy to let us in (I may have scared the guy with my tye-dye flag shirt with 47 buttons on it). The Blumenthal is a beautiful, upscale theater and I was there a few months ago to see Jackson Browne concert..never dreamed I would be back again this soon...I had a double-strength Jack and Coke and settled in for the long evening....In this comfortable setting, I watched a solid 4 and 1/2 hours of political speeches..and I enjoyed the crap out of it..I can't imaging watching that much of the coverage from home..Biden and John Kerry impressed me like never before...I think everyone did a great job in laying out their message and vision in a concise matter....Ready to Go!..Fired Up! I am watching the president on the last night of the DNC...not as I had planned but still awesome!!
I am very proud to be a Charlottean today..The world experienced our beautiful city and kind citizens..The police showed common sense and restraint in dealing with crowds, chaos and protesters. So now comes the bittersweet aftermath...It feels like a Sunday night after an awesome weekend..the day after Christmas....DNC 2012 Charlotte, NC..wonderful memories with my beautiful wife..the love of my life.....I will never forget it...good times!!









No comments:
Post a Comment