Sunday, September 30, 2012



45's..................Promotional Copy..Not For Sale


Breaking the Law!..Breaking the Law!...Yes, I bought it even though it was not for sale and it is one of my favorite 45's in my collection. Because promotional records were distributed to only radio stations and were not available for sale to the general public, promo-copies are highly sought after by record collectors. This particular record, Elton John- Philadelphia Freedom, had much to love from my perspective:

1) promotional copy
2) a song by Elton John, my favorite artist, released during his heyday of hit-making (70-76)
3) the song title was about my hometown (ok , I lived in the suburbs of Philadelphia but it was pretty damn close!) and the single was released in 1975 and Philadelphia would be the centerpiece of the Bicentennial celebration of America's declaration of freedom in 1976.
4) limited edition picture sleeve tailored- made for Philly radio station WFIL (call letters are reflected in Elton's glasses).

By all rights, I should have loved the single when it was released but it was not one of my favorite Elton tunes at the time, however, I have warmed up to the song over the years and particularly dig the solo-piano live performances.

I may need to get a psychiatrist to sort this all out someday, but I have recurring dreams involving this record and picture sleeve. Elton is dressed just as he is on the picture sleeve and he makes a surprise visit to my house (the house I grew up in..Broomall PA,). I plead with Elton to wait right there for just one second and I am going up to my room to get my record so he can autograph it!....Well, you know how dreams go...you change locations without warning. All of a sudden, I am in a vacant parking lot or some other crazy place. I am filled with frustration and spend the rest of the dream trying to get back to my house so Elton can finally sign my special 45!..It never works out....








No comments:

Post a Comment