Wednesday, October 3, 2012


Bootlegs= Illegal  Vinyl Records:
 
Yes,  folks, you may want to remove the children from the room, this could get a little rough…
Long before illegal digital downloads and file-sharing networks (Napster), bootleg records were the kings of the musical underworld. Bootleg records were live recordings of questionable quality that were not authorized by the artist or record company. The artist received no royalty income but the music fan obtained a rare recording by their favorite performer.  The bootleg record was covered in generic packaging (sometimes just a plain white cover) and the record itself usually had no printing on the label. But you dare not complain or question because you were a filthy criminal anyway for buying this stuff…The whole ordeal was a sleazy shade-fest!
 
Sometime in the mid/late 70’s, radio stations unleashed a stellar live version of Bruce Springsteen performing, “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” from a 1975 concert. The tune was released to radio stations only and the record was not available for purchase until almost a decade later…yet every year the song was all over FM radio! This was torture for a Springsteen fan and I would not stand for it!...
 
I made my shameful bootleg purchase at Critters in Bryn Mawr, PA. (since closed). Critters was a head-shop  upstairs (place where you could buy accessories to smoke pot) and the bootleg records were appropriately located in the basement level. I was thrilled to find a vinyl 45 of  Bruce’s Santa Claus is Coming to Town. When I got home to play my criminal record, it turns out it was a different live version of the song, not the version played on radio..but that was fine…the boot also includes a live cover of Bruce doing  Heartbreak Hotel!
As I think back, I believe this may have been my one and only purchase of a bootleg vinyl record..but if I was going to join the shady-society, I picked a great record to start my life of crime… I apologize to Springsteen for denying him the royalty money but I did spend some serious cash on legitimate Bruce product in the years to come (concerts,albums,singles,cassettes, CD’s, Itunes downloads, etc..)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment