Saturday, January 26, 2013

I finally did it.
 I read the book, On The Road,  by Jack Kerouac

If you consider yourself a cool person, then you are supposed to read this book. I have made the attempt to check this novel out previously but could not focus enough to complete the task...a recurring theme in my journey. Like many things, I was introduced to the book via my obsession with The Grateful Dead. Neal Cassady was a pivotal character during the early days of the band in the mid to late 1960's. The Dean Moriarty character in On The Road was inspired by Neal Cassady. Through the years, I continued to see references to the influential impact this book had on various artists.

After reading stories about the upcoming movie based on the book, I decided to give this reading concept another try. I enjoy reading but I honestly struggle with novels. At the risk of losing my cool credentials, I must admit this was not an easy read. Laser-like focus was required to adapt to the free-form style that includes rapid fire recitations of every random thought that passed through the character's minds during their insane road trips. I struggled to understand the cult-like appeal of Dean Moriarty/Neal Cassady who treated women like dirt and was also a self-obsessed con artist...but damn it...if society says this is cool stuff..I am going to stick this out.

Like any road trip, this reading journey was a fantastic display of extremes: deep sadness and magical elation.  So, Kristen Stewart stars in the upcoming movie. I wonder if this book will touch any
 Twilight fans?  I can now join previous generations of cool people who know the deal....I read the book!


2 comments:

  1. I read 3/4 of On the Road and all of the Music Slices blog posts. SUCH laser-like focus was utilized. I think this adds up to make me a cool person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely!..definitely cool!..Someday, we may all be as cool as Kristen Stewart..probably not..but it is something we can aspire to...Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete