Original vs. Reissue
Back in the day ,when a new single was released, the record company would press X-amount of copies. Depending on the success of the single, the record could continue to be pressed and reissued over the years as part of an oldies-series. The reissue usually would have hit singles on both sides of the 45. You could easily purchase a single of Elvis Presley- Heartbreak Hotel , several decades after it was first released, but if you had one of the original pressings from the record's initial run in the 50's....well, that record would be much more valuable from a collector's perspective.
? and the Mysterians- 96 Tears:
From the very first time I heard that strange organ-intro, I was hooked.....It would have been easy to find that classic single in the oldies section but i had to have an original copy, even if was slightly scratchy..I had to have a vintage slice of 1966 vinyl. When i finally found a copy of the record at a specialty record store, at that point it was my oldest original copy single in my 45 collection. Even today, when i scanned a picture of the vinyl, it gave me quite a rush. I am not sure if I have a definitive favorite song, but 96 Tears would definitely be in the top 5! ...But the thing about collecting is that the thrill of victory is usually short-lived...there is always another elusive record out there that you are struggling to find anywhere.. ....Unfortunately, the explosion of E-Bay, digital downloads and file-sharing networks makes it ridiculously easy to find, listen to and/or purchase virtually any song...but I will never forget the thrill of the hunt for cherished vinyl singles.



love this song
ReplyDelete